tirsdag 8. april 2008

Oh, Patrik




I got quite sad when I realized that the wonderful Swedish designer Patrik Söderstam will stop designing garments and focus mainly on t-shirt design (sold exclusively in Japan, sigh). His look has been known to be synonymous with avant-garde shapes and the classic Söderstam silhuette is based around skinny jeans with padded calves paired with oversized tops. It was this look that caught my attention a few years ago. Söderstam illuminated such an interesting view on fashion and joined the ranks with fellow silhuette masters Yohji Yamamoto and Martin Margiela.

Yes, I know I'm a girl, but who cares? Really? Menswear is such a fascinating field. The focus on details in modern menswear design is amazing and the people who claim that womenswear have the upper hand should check out the likes of Siv Støldal, Dries van Noten and Victor Glemaud. But back to Söderstam:

"My aesthetic recipie is the play with extreme proportions, futuristic detailing, trash and sex, and a whole lot of otherness", says Söderstam about his designs.

And I couldn't have said it better myself. It's bit grotesque. A bit weird. But it's definitely innovative, and oh, so fascinating. Patrik is my hero. He will be sorely missed.

Ingen kommentarer: